Welcome to the first i2S News for 2023. We provide updates on:
- i2Insights (the community blog and repository)
- i2S-Talks (the YouTube channel)
- i2S website (which provides specific information about Integration and Implementation Sciences).
In this i2S News we highlight i2Insights contributions about systems thinking. Systems thinking is integral to i2S and is essential for tackling complex societal and environmental problems. Yet as i2Insights Ambassador, Cathy Hobbs has stated “at the supermarket [of useful tools], the systems thinking ‘products’ are nailed to the top shelf (and likely gathering the dust in some cases).” i2Insights is bringing more of these tools to the accessible shelves at eye level.
In i2S-Talks, this i2S News also features one of the stand-out seminars for 2022 by Fiji’s Professor Upolu Luma Vaai. He argues that transdisciplinarity is not a new concept for Pasifika communities, demonstrating how the indigenous philosophy of relationality has shaped transboundary thinking and praxis for centuries, and how it would assist in creating a ‘whole of life’ education approach.
Progress on changes to the i2S website is also presented.
The year also begins with the very sad news that one of the doyens of interdisciplinarity and transdisciplinarity, Julie Thompson Klein, died on January 15. Julie was not only a towering figure in research and education in interdisciplinarity and transdisciplinarity, she was also an active networker who nurtured colleagues at all levels of seniority around the world. We are grateful for her support of i2S and i2Insights. We will update the i2Insights News (https://i2insights.org/about/i2insights-news/) once we know when the proposed celebration of her life will be held.
Feedback and suggestions for i2S News and i2S activities are always welcome!
Gabriele Bammer and Peter Deane
i2S News features a range of resources which have been added to the i2S website in the last few months, and this includes:
- i2Insights website:
- Highlighting systems thinking tools
- Highlights from i2Insights statistics
- There have been 10 new contributions since the last i2S News
- i2S Talks YouTube channel:
- Highlighting lessons from Pasifika communities for decolonial transdisciplinary education
- Two videos have been added to this repository since the last i2S News
- i2S website:
- Changes in train
You can subscribe to i2S News through the menu item in the left-hand side column.