Purpose: To provide practical guidance on collaboration in research teams.
Description: The Collaboration and Team Science Field Guide (now in its second edition) is divided into 13 chapters with supportive case studies, covering:
- Engaging in team science: What is a scientific research team?
- Preparing yourself for team science: The value of self-reflection; understanding personality types; giving and receiving feedback; and, the value of mentorship.
- Leading research teams: Leadership dimensions.
- Building a research team: Launching a team; and, setting expectations.
- Trust: How to foster trust amoung team members; types of trust; psychological safety; and, creating the foundation for trust and psychological safety.
- Vision: how to develop a shared vision.
- Communication: How to communicate about science; and, promoting disagreement.
- Credit and sharing: How to give recognition and share credit; organizational recognition and reward; how to approach recognition and reward; recognition, review and reward; and, Catch 22 for the tenure-track scientist.
- Managing difference: How to harness diversity in team science.
- Conflict is normal: Understanding conflict; and, how to engage with conflict.
- Sustaining and strengthening the team: How to strengthen team dynamics; and, one bad apple.
- Navigating and leveraging networks and systems: The team as a system – social network analysis.
- Fun: Enjoying collaboration.
Additional materials in the field guide cover:
- Top ten take-aways for successful team collaboration (see also https://i2insights.org/2018/07/24/ten-collaboration-tips/)
- Collaborative agreement questions (prenup for scientists).
- Welcome to my team letter template.
- Offer letter/pre-tenure agreement template.
Reference: Bennett, L. M., Gadlin, H., Marchand, C. (2018). Collaboration and Team Science Field Guide. 2nd edn., National Institutes of Health Publication No. 18-7660, National Cancer institute, Bethesda, Unites States of America. Full text online at: https://i2s.anu.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/collaboration-team-science-guide.pdf (850KB PDF). Landing page for the tool can be found at: https://www.cancer.gov/about-nci/organization/crs/research-initiatives/team-science-field-guide.
Digital Poster: Bennett, L. M., Levine-Finley, S. and Gadlin, H. (2013). Collaboration and team science: a field guide, digital poster #613, from the First Global Conference on Research Integration and Implementation Canberra, Australia, online and at co-conferences in Germany, the Netherlands and Uruguay, 8-11 September, 2013. You can access this digital poster as a powerpoint presentation or pdf: http://i2sconference.digitalposter.com.au/posters-list/613.
Related tools on this website:
- Collaboration = harnessing and managing difference
- Collaboration: pre-nuptial agreements for scientists
- Learning for sustainability (LfS) website
- Team science (COALESCE project)
- Team science toolkit
Related topics on i2Insights blog:
- Collaboration: From groan zone to growth zone by Carrie Kappel
- Long-term collaboration: Beware blaming back and blaming forward by Charles Lines
- Collaboration and team science: Top ten take aways by L. Michelle Bennett and Christophe Marchand
- What can interdisciplinary collaborations learn from the science of team science? by Suzi Spitzer
- Taboo triangles by Charles Lines
- Collaboration, difference and busyness by Gabriele Bammer
Related topics on Wikipedia:
Posted: November 2014
Last modified: October 2019